[csw-buildfarm] group request

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Fri Apr 16 17:53:07 CEST 2010

Dago,

>> I'm rebuilding with this option but I don't believe it's going to be
>> adequate. The problem when setting --disable-installperms is the
>> permission are then not properly set during 'make install' and the user
>> and group pairs in the prototype will not be properly setup, there are
>> some 90+ files/dirs which need to be amanda:sys.
>>
>> This is definitely a fakeroot problem on Solaris 9. I've tested the
>> chown operation on Solaris 8 and 10 (w/ fakeroot built for sol10) and
>> it's functioning properly. I guess simply building on 8 will be the
>> easiest way to get around this for now.
>
> Ok then, the Solaris 8 machines are still (and will be) remain in
> place, so for now it should be ok. If you want to do a GAR build
> later: GAR does not support fakeroot and fully relies on DESTDIR.
> The prototype can then be adjusted programmatically with regular
> expressions per field.

If a package needs to set a large number of specific permission for
users, groups, files, etc, having to adjust them individually w/regex's
sounds overly complicated and error prone to me. What happens when a new
release is available and these change?

In this instance amanda does fully support DESTDIR but you need to set
some files to root:sys which are setgid, others amanda:sys, and others
root:root. What would be the easiest way to accomplish this for a
maintainer...using fakeroot, compiling as root to ensure user:groups are
properly set, or some ever changing regex's? I'm not looking for an
answer, simply point out that these are complicated issues.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Email: darinper at cognigencorp.com