[csw-buildfarm] Sun Studio 12 on Solaris 9

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 14 13:10:00 CET 2011

Hi Peter,

Am 14.01.2011 um 12:58 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
> I don't remember if there is a reason for which we don't have Sun
> Studio 12 on the build farm for Solaris 9. Reading in:
>
> http://docs.sun.com/source/820-2973/release_notesML.html#SystemReqs
>
> "Solaris OS 9, Solaris OS 10 1/06 and subsequent updates"
>
> If there is no reason, can we have the 12.2 version installed on build9x
> and build9s?

No, because you have read the release notes for Sun Studio 12.
Sun Studio 12.1 is really Sun Studio 13, but you know due to
the Knight Templar slaughtering 13 is unlucky and therefore
SS 13 has been called 12.1 and SS 14 has been called 12.2.
Despite the similar names these are major releases.
As you see from the proper release notes for 12.1 at
  http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19205-01/821-0080/index.html
it requires at least Solaris 10 1/06 and in fact does not
work on Solaris 9 due to missing libraries.

Sun Studio 12 is btw installed on current9* as default compiler: