[csw-buildfarm] request to install packages needed to build emacs

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu May 17 21:02:26 CEST 2012

Hi Peter,

Am 16.05.2012 um 10:31 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:
>> Am 15.05.2012 um 16:05 schrieb pfelecan at opencsw.org:
>>> Please install the following packages. They are prerequisites to build emacs.
>>>
>>> CSWlibdbus-glib-dev
>>> CSWlibgdk-pixbuf-dev
>>> CSWlibgif-dev
>>> CSWlibglib2-dev
>>> CSWlibgtk2-dev
>>
>> Doing this now on unstable10*. The new glib2 is not available on Solaris 9.
>
> This means tha I can provide the new package only on solairs 10, isn't
> it?

At least it is the easiest way to go. You would need different dependencies for Solaris 9
as a recent GTK is almost unbuildable on Solaris 9. Do you need emacs for Solaris 9?

>>> CSWlibicedevel
>>> CSWlibsmdevel
>>> CSWlibxawdevel
>>> CSWx11renderproto
>>
>> I noticed you added /opt/csw/X11 to your latest recipe. This location is deprecated. It was
>> our attempt to ship updated X11 libraries, but it failed as the new SONAMES are not compatible
>> with present accelerated libraries for 3D and other things shipped by Oracle. Do you really
>> need something from /opt/csw/X11? It feasible it should be rebuild to be in /opt/csw directly
>> if it does not collide with other things. I have not installed these last four as the presence
>> is usually bad as it automatically adds dependencies to stuff which should not use it.
>
> Well, without /opt/csw/X11 the Emacs that I can provide is very poor
> from the stand point of user interface: limited X11/Athena Widget based,
> curses based and, no GTK based one; this is a regression from the
> previous package.

Which X11 packages do you specifically need? For my needs Solaris 10 provided
everything I needed for my packages, but YMMV. If there are really tiny things
missing we could keep providing them if proven useful.

> Next week I'll try some variations in order to obtain something
> acceptable but I cannot guarantee.
>
> If installing these packages introduces a risk for other packaging
> activities, can we set up a special, separated, system where I can build
> a fully functional Emacs?

Yes, you could. But the idea is more to actually remove the packages in
/opt/csw/X11 in the next release, so building against them just makes this
step harder in the future (or delayes research...)

> Note that I'm not available until the beginning of the next week and I'm
> incommunicado[1] until then.
>
> [1] the beautifully agglutinated "érintkezésilehetőségnélküli" is the
>    Hungarian equivalent...

Since when do you speak hungarian?

Best regards -- Dago (is impressed)