[cfarm-admins] Offer for Sparc machines

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 4 09:50:33 CEST 2018

Hi Baptiste,

Am 03.09.2018 um 11:51 schrieb Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org>:
> I have one last issue on solaris10: creating a new user fails both with
> ansible and plain useradd:
>
>    gcc-solaris10# useradd -m foobar
>    cp: /home/foobar: Operation not applicable
>    chown: /home/foobar: No such file or directory
>
> It seems like it should create the home under /export/home, not /home.
> The manpage for useradd mentions a "basedir" option but it does not
> actually work:
>
>    gcc-solaris10# useradd -b /export -m foobar
>    UX: useradd: ERROR: invalid syntax.
>
> Do you have an idea of what's wrong?  If it works with a plain useradd
> call (so that we don't have to change our ansible setup just for this
> machine) it's even better.

Ok, here is what is going on: in the old days you had a network of machines,
each carrying some homedirs under /export/home/<user> when disks were small
and expensive. These were automounted to /home/<user> on the machine where
you login, either by nfs or lofs. That means you can only create under /export/home
and mount under /home.

Essentially I don’t really care about this legacy setup as we don’t use NFS
anyway and the homedirs are shared by lofs from the global zone.
I have changed the configuration to make /home a symlink to /export/home.

Please note there is one directory „farm“ under /export/home which I use for farm setup,
all the compilers, patches and stuff is located there. I can move it away if needed.

>> The machine is located in Kiel, Germany and our company which is sponsoring the
>> machine is Baltic Online http://baltic-online.de
>> Our company is also sponsoring the OpenCSW buildfarm so we are also strongly associated
>> with OpenCSW. It would be nice if you could mention both Baltic Online and OpenCSW :-)
>
> Ok, I have updated https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/machines/list/ accordingly.

Excellent, thanks!

BTW, I read that you can are interested in a buildbot CI setup. I have some experience
with buildbot as we at OpenCSW already use that to verify clean compilation on Solaris
for a number of upstream projects. If needed I can lend you a hand.

Best regards

  — Dago