[cfarm-admins] Offer for Sparc machines

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Tue Sep 4 13:06:12 CEST 2018

On 04-09-18, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Baptiste,
>
> Am 03.09.2018 um 11:51 schrieb Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org>:
> > Do you have an idea of what's wrong?  If it works with a plain useradd
> > call (so that we don't have to change our ansible setup just for this
> > machine) it's even better.
>
> Ok, here is what is going on: in the old days you had a network of machines,
> each carrying some homedirs under /export/home/<user> when disks were small
> and expensive. These were automounted to /home/<user> on the machine where
> you login, either by nfs or lofs. That means you can only create under /export/home
> and mount under /home.
>
> Essentially I don’t really care about this legacy setup as we don’t use NFS
> anyway and the homedirs are shared by lofs from the global zone.
> I have changed the configuration to make /home a symlink to /export/home.

I see, thanks for the explanations and the symlink.  I have now deployed
all farm users and SSH keys, and will announce the availability of the new
machines within a few days.

> Please note there is one directory „farm“ under /export/home which I use for farm setup,
> all the compilers, patches and stuff is located there. I can move it away if needed.

Is it intended to be used directly by farm users?  If so, it should
probably go into /opt.  Otherwise, it's fine here, I will add "farm" to
the list of blacklisted user names to avoid surprises ;)

> BTW, I read that you can are interested in a buildbot CI setup. I have some experience
> with buildbot as we at OpenCSW already use that to verify clean compilation on Solaris
> for a number of upstream projects. If needed I can lend you a hand.

I know that several people run buildbot on the farm themselves.  Do you
think it could make sense to provide buildbot as a service on all farm
machines?