gcc210, gcc211: gcc fails

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 5 11:12:36 CEST 2018

Hi Carl,

Am 05.09.2018 um 00:15 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>:
> Thank you, the remaining issue I currently see is that Solaris 10 (gcc210)
> defaults to /bin/sh which makes running (FFmpeg) configure impossible
> while the Solaris 11 system (gcc211) defaults to bash making everything
> much easier.
>
> How is a non-root user supposed to overwrite the default shell?

First let me understand what specifically the problem is: the default shell
is the shell that is invoked when you log in. You can execute any shell
you want by just executing it, e.g. by typing „bash“.

This is not directly related to what „configure“ does. Configure is
a shell script that invokes the shell with something like
  #!/bin/sh
On Solaris /bin/sh is not bash and this cannot be changed. Personally I
would consider a configure script that uses bashisms defective. However,
nowadays that many projects assume Unix == Linux and therefore sh == bash,
so if upstream is unwilling I suggest to invoke configure with bash like
  bash configure —prefix=…

Best regards

  — Dago