[csw-dev] Problem with cdrecord on Solaris 8 x86

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Apr 1 18:19:07 CEST 2008

[ This was lifted out of another thread ]

> Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:24:00PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> > I think that mplayer comes to mind as well as Jorg's cdrtools. I have
>> tried
>> > to make cdrecord work on Solaris 8 x86 to no avail.
>>
>> I thought I had it working on a sol8 box at one point.
>> just becuase it doesnt work for you, doesnt mean it wont work for
>> others... it's very hardware-specific.

Actually, I have no data that suggests it works for anyone on Solaris 8.

> The problem is that Sun did hose up the kernel....

  That is a *feeling* but I want facts.

I have two versions here on Solaris 8 x86.  Neither work :

# /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord --version
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a37 (i386-pc-solaris2.8) Copyright (C)
1995-2008 Jörg Schilling

# /opt/csw/bin/cdrecord --version
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a27 (i386-pc-solaris2.8) Copyright (C)
1995-2007 Jörg Schilling

Unrelated note : the version from Blastwave is so far behind

> There are two known bugs for Solaris 8 that are responsible for the problem:
>
> -	No DMA, DMA is needed to write DVDs.
> 	For Solaris 8 FCS I have a patch, that works no longer if you install
> 	an "upgrade"

I can confirm that Solaris 8 x86 well patched will present no DMA
functionality.  At least not correctly.

> -	USCSI always returns redidual count == DMA count.
> 	Buggy programs like cdrw that do not chech return codes have no problem
> 	with this bug but cdrecord tells you that no transfer did take place.
> 	It is possible to circumvent this bug by using my scg driver, it
> 	correctly returns DMA residual counts.

In that case we need a document the process for the user to install ( or use
) the scg driver.  I can tell you that I have the currently released
versions of cdrtools from Blastwave here on Solaris 8. I also have the most
recent versions from sources.  Neither of those can effectively perform a
readcd or a cdrecord operation regardless of my buffer sizes or fifo sizes
etc etc.

The problem rest squarely on top of the Solaris 8 kernel and/or drivers
because this exact same piece of hardware can boot SchilliX live and burn
anything perfectly.  Of course I lose all my Adaptec SCSI controller based
disks but the DVD burners work fine.

Everything works perfectly with Solaris 10 Update 4 also.

That same machine has had Solaris 9 on it and that worked fine.

Solaris 8, or some component in Solaris 8, is the problem.

So then ... how do we implement your scg driver such that cdrecord works?

Dennis Clarke