[csw-devel] Some packages are missing the .pc-Files

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Apr 7 21:47:44 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 07:25:25PM +0000, Christian Walther wrote:
> On 07/04/2008, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >  other config files, such as .pc files, are generally well-behaved. there is
> >  no bounty out, for destruction of .pc files :-)
>
> But the .pc-files for the two packages I mentioned (gtk+ and
> dbus-glib) are missing anyway. ;-)
> So what to do? File a bugreport?

i would say,

#1 IF a usual cycle of "configure;make/install" on those softwares
   usually generates them, and
#2 IF it isnt actually possible to build stuff without them

then yes file a bug report.

However, I think that the software you were trying to build, CAN be built
without them, so you should probably discuss it more indepth with the
current firefox mainaintainer, as to just how he manages to built it
without those files.

If, however, #1 is NOT true, then I think it would be appropriate if you
did a little more research yourself into where these files usually come
from and why.

Additionally, for #2: I think that you first need to see what happens when
you remove /usr/sfw stuff from your PATH, and/or actually rename the thing
temporarily.
If you are picking up conflicting .pc definitions from somewheres under
/usr/sfw, then it really isnt "our" fault to fix, eh?