[csw-devel] SF.net SVN: gar:[16652] csw/mgar/pkg/subversion/trunk/Makefile

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 24 11:02:50 CEST 2012

Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 08:17:25PM +0000, rthurner at users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>> +CHECKPKG_OVERRIDES_CSWpythonsvn += discouraged-path-in-pkgmap|/opt/csw/lib/svn/python/site-packages/svn/repos.pyc
>> +CHECKPKG_OVERRIDES_CSWpythonsvn += discouraged-path-in-pkgmap|/opt/csw/lib/svn/python/site-packages/svn/wc.pyc
>> +CHECKPKG_OVERRIDES_CSWpythonsvn += discouraged-path-in-pkgmap|/opt/csw/lib/svn/python/site-packages/libsvn/__init__.pyc
>> (...)
>
> We don't ship *.pyc files in Python packages. We use the pycompile class
> instead, and generate the *.pyc files locally. Instead of overriding the
> error tags, you can remove the files in a post-install-modulated step
> and set the pycompile class on them.

Sincerely, I don't get the rationale of this: pyc as elc (e-lisp
compiled) are architecture neutral. The only reason that I can imagine
is that compiling on the target, i.e., on which the package containing
the source is installed, uses environmental, i.e., specific,
information, e.g. Python's current version.

As our Python reference, can you enlighten us on this?

TIA
--
Peter