[csw-devel] SF.net SVN: gar:[17983] csw/mgar/pkg/libotf/trunk/Makefile

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon May 28 18:23:33 CEST 2012

2012/5/26 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> "Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:
>
>> 2012/5/13 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>
>>>
>>> BTW, the advantage of this tool is to extract the dependencies using the
>>> system on which it runs and making reduction of the dependency tree,
>>> mainly by transitivity...
>>
>> Transitivity, in what sense? As far as dependencies go, the OpenCSW
>> policy is to always include direct dependencies, and never to rely on
>> transitive dependencies.
>
> Is this policy documented?

I had an exchange with Phil once about it. I scanned the archived
website content and didn't find it mentioned. I'll need to look more
to find the email thread. So, I can't provide you with a link right
now.

The argument is that if you have CSWfoo → CSWbar → CSWbaz when CSWfoo
really depends on files in CSWbaz, then at some point CSWbar can stop
depending on CSWbaz, and drop the dependency. This would break CSWfoo.
So, if there is a direct actual dependency, it should be declared
directly.

>>> also, more precise than pkgcheck; you can see
>>> the sources in my home bin/python directory.
>>
>> It's interesting. Do you think I'll be able to tell how more precise
>> it is by just looking a the sources? I wouldn't mind looking at some
>> output.
>
> Frankly I thought so... I'll send you something when I find a simple and
> usefull output.

Cool.