[csw-maintainers] Hudson

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Dec 4 18:13:19 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 09:38:12AM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> What is the gain? The package tools already have a strong concept of
> versions, why not support multiple versions at the same time? I'm all
> for backwards compatibility and all, but I really need a feature like
> this so I don't mind running my tools with a special flag (might be nice
> anyway as it indicates that I'm running development stuff).

Two things, just to hopefully bring people together on the same page:

1. no-one is proposing that our REGULAR trees (current, stable) have
   multiple versions.   Just wanted to mention that as reassurance to some
  folks :-)

2. pkg-get already supports multiple versions to some degree.
  As mentioned previously, i believe it will prompt you for which one you
  want, though.

  As someone will probably not be initially aware that there even
  EXIST multiple versions (since normally, a big point of
  pkg-get is to INSULATE users from versions), I think that prompting
  is an important safty check.

  I might add an OPTION flag to pkg-get, to say "always pick latest", but
  I think the default behaviour will stay as "prompt if multiple versions"