[csw-maintainers] Summary of IRL Meeting

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 9 20:10:02 CET 2008

Hi Dago,

thanks for the summary. In case there are any related question i hope
they are addressed to the maintainers list so that everyone gets a share
of insight.

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Membership
> ----------
>
> The participants of the meeting are the founding members. It is
> legally not possible to just grab people and make them members if
> they have not applied for membership. So every maintainer will
> get an email within the next few days asking if they want to
> apply for membership. A simple reply with "I want to apply for
> membership" is enough. The board will usually accept membership
> and will post about all membership applications.
> As is stated in the bylaws there is no membership fee.

Maybe one could add for the uninitiated that this whole membership thing
is a side effect (or essential building block) of putting OpenCSW on the
legal basis of an incorporated society. The ASF [1] is a prominent
example for a similar approach.

The membership status eventually leads to voting rights in general
meetings according to rules which have yet to be defined (by William,
was it?).

So even though membership might have the initial connotation of
something closed it is exactly the contrary. It is the foundation to
move towards an open and community based decision model (call it project
democracy if you want) that not only exists in our minds, but on paper also.

> There will be a publicly readble mailing list where all members
> can post on at members@
> Accepted members will be automatically added to that list.

And members@ will not just be duplicate of maintainers@, because people
can contribute to OpenCSW without being a maintainer (think web- or
postmaster for example) and issues being discussed on members@ would
naturally differ also.

> Sidenotes
> ---------
>
> There have been lots of discussions during the whole time about
> technical issues and the community in a non-formal way. The
> results from these discussions will trigger some more discussions
> on the mailing list in the next time.

Seems as if the dinner on Saturday evening generated a lot of ideas.
Looking forward to the discussions.

> The following topics have not been finalized and are subject
> to more discussion:
>
> - Redesign of www.opencsw.org by William

What's the ETA? :)

> - One technical summercamp per year. Trygve offered to organize
>    the first one in Oslo in summer 2009. There may be "bug
>    squashing day", technical discussions among other fun things.

Yeah, great idea! Oslo sounds promising, although i have to admit that i
had hoped to get away with cheaper dinners than the one in Zurich next
time we would meet ;)

Sebastian

[1] http://apache.org/foundation/
[2] http://wiki.blastwave.org/