[csw-maintainers] ClamAV - to include the (obsolete) signatures or not?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Dec 12 22:49:12 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:43:03PM +0100, Peter Bonivart wrote:
> Should we provide a 20 MB package fully operational which needs
> updating or should we provide a 2 MB package which *must* be updated?
>
> If the second alternative, is it good enough to inform the user about
> this via the postinstall script for example? An automated run of
> freshclam will not work in most cases without some simple
> configuration which can't be guessed by me.

how about you mention some of the problems hindering an automated run, and
see if people here have ideas on how to overcome them?

As a first shot:

if the package is virtually useless without regular updates, then seems
like you would want to have some kind of "out of date" check automatically
built in, to be of maximum use to our users.

If you have such a thing, then perhaps you might trigger that to always get
called at "first run", and then also prompt for any missing information at
that time?