[csw-maintainers] ClamAV - to include the (obsolete) signatures or not?

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 14 10:58:01 CET 2008

On 13/12/08, 11:28:13, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote
regarding Re: [csw-maintainers] ClamAV - to include the (obsolete)
signatures or not?:

> The mirror is not a showstopper, that's correct, but the proxy
> settings may be in many (most?) environments. Trying to find those in
> wgetrc, pkg-get.conf or other files doesn't feel right. As far as I
> know freshclam doesn't pick up proxy settings from the environment, it
> wants it configured in freshclam.conf. It's also quite common not to
> have internet access at all but to set up a freshclam proxy to connect
> to.

I've missed something here because the idea of a mail server that
doesn't have access to the internet is strange to me - especially one
that is looking for viruses.

I would think most environments would have transparent access to the
internet and those who have set up their own proxies should know how
to deal with the environment that they themselves create.

> > It's possible to add to crontab with postinstall (a new challenge to
> > cswclassutils?) but maybe freshclam in daemon mode is better anyway,
> > (variable time, control run level, control its stop and start).

> The crontab idea is really cool! I have added that to the wiki page
> for cswclassutils as a possible future addition.

> http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils

> It would be simple to provide a start script for freshclam in the
> package and let cswclassutils set it up. Maybe I should do that
> anyway?

If would be easier to set a the fetch intervals - done via freshclam.conf
option not crontab edit and makes it less regular.

James.