[csw-maintainers] New catalog "unstrict"

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 14 22:20:00 CET 2008

Hi Phil,

Am 14.12.2008 um 17:21 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 01:54:16PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> means "unstrict" contains all packages from current, but
>> additional ones like cvsup, opera, tme etc.
> whats the problem with cvsup?

It is difficult to build and impossible to build for x86.

Am 19.11.2007 um 04:45 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 10:53:29PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> Additionally I would like to package CVSup, which is available for
>> Sparc only, as Modula-3 (ezlm3) hasn't been ported to Solaris x86
>> yet.
>> As it is a pain to build a package would definitely be useful, even
>> for Sparc only.
>>
>> Are these two allowed?
>
> nope. sorry..
>
> try porting ezlm3 :-D
>
> (I am shocked and horrified that such a popular program such as
> CVSup, is not more
>  arch-neutral?!?!  /gasps   )
>
> erm... from cvsup.org, it appears that modula3 is for "building" it?
> but not for running it?
>

> another observation: ezlm3 is only ONE implementation. but any
> modula-c
> implementation will do.
>
> you might try poking at some of the other free ones, such as listed
> on:
>
> http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/modula3.shtml
>
> (and then maybe make packages of the one that works? :-D )

Am 14.12.2008 um 17:21 schrieb Philip Brown:
> whats the problem with cvsup?
> i would think that conceptually it would be relatively simple, and
> run on
> anything

Nope. Making the x86 version requires porting the compiler to
another assembly backend. Making an ezlm3 (ez = Easy, SIC!)
for packaging is quite hard, making the other Modula-3 implementations
compile under Solaris is almost impossible. Or I am too dumb
for it ;-) However, I would like to have a cvsup package as it
is useful from time to time (e. g. mirroring OpenLDAPs CVS).