[csw-maintainers] Topics for IRL

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Nov 1 11:54:40 CET 2008

Hi Gary,

Am 01.11.2008 um 11:33 schrieb Gary Law:
> 2008/10/31 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>
>
> > * **Source**.
>
> (*) The project should formally adopt GAR for Sol 9 and 10 builds
> and make use of GAR mandatory for all packages.

That would be good, yes. However, we have quite a mount of existing
packages which are not in GAR and which are currently orphaned. Would
you drop them?

> Future Solaris packaging standards might mean a switch to pkgbuild
> or something else entirely.

It will become mandatory when Solaris 10 support is dropped. Until
then, we have to produce System V packages, and that will be for
quite some years from now.

> Incidentally, not all my packages are in GAR and I don't like it as
> a tool, however, maintainers having private scripts to build stuff
> is untransparent and makes taking on the maintenance of an existing
> package very difficult in some cases.

If I can help you moving your packages to GAR let me know.
Currently I am preparing some more docs and a presentation
with an introduction to GAR to be held during IRL.

> > * **Key**.
>
> (*) The Key should be owned by all of and only the board members.

That could be a solution and should be discussed during the meeting.

> > * **Board**.
> For me this is the most important point. The
> nomination/election is one of the keys on the meeting.
>
> (*) Can maintainers who don't attend vote?

Not for the board at this time. If I got Ihsan correctly,
it is mandatory in Swiss law for the incorporated society
to meet in person at least once. After the founding, the
board can accept members which have a right to vote.
After that "remote-elections" should be possible.

> > * **Release Process**.
>
> You might want to take a look at Hudson, which is a nice Continuous
> Integration server that I've used for automated builds in the past.

Like this :-)
   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/hudson/

It will become fully functional when a package can be checked out
individually (without checking out the whole tree).
Trygve set this up, thanks!

> > * **Distributed**.
>
> I don't know if distribution is really that good
>
> +1
>
> . ... It may be sufficient to replicate the server
> backups to different people so the infrastructure can be
> rebuild quickly if anything happens.
>
>  (*) The board members should maintain the infrastructure
> (delegating to corporations or people as they see fit). Everything
> should be replicated in two places, ideally I guess one in Europe
> and one in North America. LDAP, SVN, DNS, web servers, wiki
> servers... all of these things can be made to work in a fully
> redundant fashion across a WAN. NFS might be a struggle though.
>
> (*) I've got one more, and this is probably going to be a little
> controversial... we should move out of /opt/csw and into /opt/
> opencsw. Blastwave Inc is still distributing into /opt/csw and the
> scope for end user confusion and incompatible software releases is
> huge. Although this sounds like a lot of work, if everything is in
> GAR, and everything needs to be rebuilt for Sol 9 in the next six
> months, it's really not a lot of extra work. I've got big
> reservations about maintaining stuff through opencsw that installs
> into /opt/csw.

Difficult. *If* we change the prefix, then there must be a
converter for installation to go from csw/ to opencsw/, but
personally I would like to postpone that until we see how
each project performs. Discussion welcome.