[csw-maintainers] Java... again!

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Nov 4 15:05:17 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 11:44:30AM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:

> There are several reasons why I think it would be nice to have
> JRE and JDK as CSW packages:

I dont disagree. If you find a way to cleanly redistribute, I think it's a
good idea.

> I am not sure I got your point in linking to /usr. Extrapolating
> from our policy I would make the CSW Java independent from the
> system Java.

Well, I think that there is a benefit in at least having One Standard Place
for java.
So that our programs that NEED java, can set JAVA_HOME to it and just go, if
they dont have any funky requirements.
The issue of WHICH java runtime it would point to, I think would be best
left to a combination of [our CSW java tzar, TBD], and the customer site
admin.