[csw-maintainers] ARCH=all packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Nov 11 17:30:44 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:09:58PM +0100, Peter Bonivart wrote:

> You approved the two first versions of pkgutil with exactly the same
> design.

I didnt notice the problem earlier. If I did, I wouldnt have let it through
then either.

> Not to mention your own pkg-get is incorrectly named without
> the REV-field

I fixed that.

> You also chose to not gzip it so it would be easier for your users.

As I already pointed out in email, that is a *requirement* for use,
since solaris 8 core does not include gzip, and it is logical that they
would want to use pkg-get to install gzip.
If you had said you wanted to do similarly with yours, I would have said
that's fine, for the same reasons.

> > In other words, ARCH=all should be reserved for things like raw
> > arch-neutral data files, docs, java, and shellscripts/perl/python.
>
> Which is exactly what pkgutil contains from a user point of view,
> three perl scripts in bin.

It doesnt matter what the user "sees". It matters that the
description/labelling of the package, match the package.
The contents of the package, do not match the above description of ARCH=all

$ file CSWpkgutil/root/opt/csw/libexec/pkgutil/wget-i386
CSWpkgutil/root/opt/csw/libexec/pkgutil/wget-i386:  ELF 32-bit LSB
executable 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped