[csw-maintainers] ARCH=all packages

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 11 22:13:04 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Peter: Is it really that important to have one fat package
> instead of two? An admin usually does know on which platform
> he is on. Will the package be installed on NFS and would it
> be run from sparc and i386 at the same time? I guess not.
> So two packages won't hurt and would fully comply with the
> OpenCSW standard without further discussion.

I liked your idea with install classes but since that would also
provide binaries for both sparc and i386 our self-appointed release
dictator would block that too.

> Phil: The standard is not clear here, regardless of what you
> intended with it. The package does work and it is usually
> the responsibility of the maintainer to build the package
> in the best way he thinks. The release manager (you :-) can
> give advice on improvements, but if the maintainer is
> reluctant to implement them the package must be released.
> Unless, of course, it violates the standard...

Some nice points there. Better yet would be if the release process
would be shared between several (active, not spares) people to bring
some democracy to this important process. To be voted down by a
majority is fine but having one man to write the standard, interpret
the standard and even rewrite it to fit his means if necessary,
singlehandedly control all releases and ruling in all matters overall
is just wrong in a community that calls itself open. It should however
be noted that said man of course protested against that name.

Dennis used to complain about it and he was right about that. Maybe
Zürich can bring some much needed change.

> So, Peter, would you please deliver two packages and
> you, Phil, then release the combined package? ;-)

I will do that because at this point it's the only way to get it
released at all and I won't give Phil the pleasure of not having it
released just to prove a point.

--
/peter