[csw-maintainers] Java... again!

Joshua Buysse buysse at cla.umn.edu
Mon Nov 17 19:16:03 CET 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Philip Brown wrote:
>> /opt/csw/java/bin/java -> ../instances/jre/bin/java
>> /opt/csw/java/bin/javac -> ../instances/jdk/bin/javac
>> /opt/csw/java/bin/keytool -> ../instances/jdk/bin/keytool
>> /opt/csw/java/instances/jdk-1.5.0_16
>> /opt/csw/java/instances/jdk -> jdk-1.5.0_16
>> /opt/csw/java/instances/jre -> jdk-1.5.0_16
>>
>> ?
>
> Hmm. interesting. I'll ask again , though, because I'm not
> understanding:
> why dont you like the top level directory as "java"?
> What are you envisioning being in /opt/csw/java, besides the single
> directory "instances"?

Directories for bin, lib, man, and include that point through to the
"active" instance (jdk/jre symlinks in instances).  That way, a
currently selected java version can always be found if PATH includes /
opt/csw/java/bin, and MANPATH includes /opt/csw/java/man (or /opt/csw/
java/share/man, but that's not how Sun packages it).