[csw-maintainers] Java... again!

Joshua Buysse buysse at umn.edu
Mon Nov 17 19:45:13 CET 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Philip Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:16:03PM -0600, Joshua Buysse wrote:
>>> What are you envisioning being in /opt/csw/java, besides the single
>>> directory "instances"?
>>
>> Directories for bin, lib, man, and include that point through to the
>> "active" instance (jdk/jre symlinks in instances).  That way, a
>> currently selected java version can always be found if PATH
>> includes /
>> opt/csw/java/bin, and MANPATH includes /opt/csw/java/man (or /opt/
>> csw/
>> java/share/man, but that's not how Sun packages it).
>
> What about /opt/csw/java/bin, lib, man, being symlinks to ./
> {VERSION}/bin,
> instead of ./instances/{VERSION}/bin  ?
>
> I personally think that is a little cleaner; shorter paths are usually
> nicer, in my opinion :-)

No real difference, as long as a current/active symlink is used -- the
key is that only one symlink needs to be changed to switch the default
version of java.  (ie, in /opt/csw/java, current -> jdk-1.5.0_16, or
jdk -> jdk-1.4.2_xx, etc.)

The java plugin for firefox should probably symlink to /opt/csw/java/
current/... as well.

--
Joshua Buysse, System Engineer
University of Minnesota, College of Liberal Arts

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
-Edward R. Murrow