[csw-maintainers] Java... again!

Trygve Laugstøl trygvel at opencsw.org
Mon Nov 17 20:26:25 CET 2008

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 07:44:45PM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
>> Philip Brown wrote:
>>> Why dont you like having a combined directory,
>>>
>>> /opt/csw/java/1.5.0_16
>>>
>>> that has both the jre and jdk of that version under it?
>> Because Sun uses /usr/java as a complete JDK isntallation (or was it JRE?..)
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure what you are disliking here.
> Are you going with the principle that "anything with java as the last
> component of its name, should be a full runtime", usable as JAVA_HOME?
> Just becuase sun does it that way?
>
> Do you not think that JAVA_HOME=/opt/csw/java/default
> would be just as appropriate?
>
> And, given that sun seems to give users a choice of
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/js2e
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/j2sdk1.4.2.16
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_16
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.5.0
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/latest  # oh look!! looks like /opt/csw/java/default :)
>
> I think that in this case, we should toss out what sun does, and start with
> our own CONSISTENT naming, that can stay consistent pretty much from now
> until forever :-)
>
> (JAVA_HOME=/opt/csw/java/{pick-your-version}, where version can
>    also be "default")

I'm all for consistency and my point was really "just because sun does
it". By not inventing *yet* another way to find the Java runtime we're
saving some brain cells. As long as it is doable. /opt/csw is already a
pretty decent mess if you ask mere. Stuff is no where near self
consistent or similar to /etc, either Solaris or other distros.

--
Trygve