[csw-maintainers] Popularity statistics

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 24 21:27:59 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 09:09:37PM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:

> My idea was to use the data to prioritize our work for those who want to
>  contribute to the project as a "whole" and help out with getting
> packages for the most popular packages.

In some ways, seems like that is non-productive at the start.
Wouldnt the "most popular packages" naturally get the most help anyway?

Contrariwise, the ones that "need the most help", might be the ones that
no-one uses, becuase they are too out of date for people to use any more.

I think Dagobert's buglist would probably be the most targetted way to
identify "packages that need the most help.".

And then there's stuff like samba. sigh.

I made a gigantic test package a while back, and put it in testing. but
have had zero feedback.
Since I dont use samba myself, I really need SOMEONE to give me feedback
about it before I put more work into splitting it up n stuff.

(or, someone else is very welcome to take it over and I'll give them what
 notes I have)