[csw-maintainers] BO Buildfarm will be down due to migration

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 28 21:16:39 CET 2008

On 27/11/08, 21:28:12, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] BO Buildfarm will be down due to migration:

> James: Please repeat your benchmark, and the clock should now be
> running in sync too.

Rerun with local storage on each machine, this is a fairer test of
the machines - although the previous was a fair test of those
particular installations.

pandora V240 2 x 1500MHz US3i:

real     7:09.894
user        0.015
sys         0.033

(showing good repeatability, previous was 7:09.891)

build8s T5220 32 x 1165MHz UltraSPARC T2:

real    10:18.513
user    39:59.926
sys      8:12.902

Extracting elements of build we see the differences, real times:

Task                US3i       T2
./configure           59      2:54
gmake -j $NCPU      4:46      3:01
gmake -j 16            -      3:03
gmake -j  8            -      3:30
gmake -j  4            -      6:09

Conclusion, the T2 has more overall power but is unable to utilise
it as the overall build process is not parallel enough (disclaimer,
in this case...).  We should see benefits when several people are
working concurrently.

James.