[csw-maintainers] Hudson

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 30 20:24:10 CET 2008

Hi Phil,

Am 30.11.2008 um 17:08 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:13:20PM +0100, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
>> I think having 32 and 64 bit packages is the best, perhaps with some
>> clever logic in pkg-get to fetch the foo_64 package for the foo
>> package.
>> The 64 bit package would have to depend on the 32 bit package. This
>> is
>> definitely a useful subject to talk about in Zürich over a beer.
>
> the trouble is, sometimes you want the 32bit package,a nd sometimes,
> you
> want the 64bit package. pkg-get cant read your mind :-}
>
> (32bit for speed, 64bit for data space. except for amd64, apparently.
> then maybe the choice is 64bit for speed, 32bit for conservation of
> memory)

That is not the problem. The problem is, that Hudson can't build a
combined package for Solaris 8 x86 with 64 bit amd64 stuff in it.
We *may* work around this at some point in time but a discussion which
path to follow is welcome. Integration in one package as it is done
now is certainly a solution, but it is still only one possible solution
among others which I would like to have discussed. The result may
very well be that we keep it the way it is, but with Hudson and
GAR v2 some preliminaries have changed which may lead to another
direction.