[csw-maintainers] [csw-users] python 2.6.1 now in testing

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 2 20:31:59 CEST 2009

Sebastian Kayser wrote:
> Mike Watters wrote:
>> Philip Brown wrote:

>>> thatas for widecha support. if it isnt there it may be bug in our curses.
>>> or, you need to quit mixing curses headers with ncurses libraries.
>>> -I/opt/csw/include/ncurses
>>> if i remember correctly.
>> AH-HA!
>>
>> it seems there are 2 sets of ncurses libs
>> libncurses and libncursesw (wide support)
>> My Headers are picking up the "Wide" support
>> but my link is against the normal.
>>
>> this is explained in
>> http://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=3457
>> though I am still unclear as to why the headers
>> are missing for the "regular" ncurses.
>>
>> I will fix and get a new version in testing.
>
> I didn't get my head around why your linkage went like it did quite yet.
> Shouldn't it have bailed out with linking errors (for not finding
> w32addch) during building already? James?? ;)
>
> Dago recently built our ncurses with wide character support (thanks
> btw.), so that we now also have w variants of the ncurses libraries in
> addition to the regular ones (not binary compatible but as they have a w
> suffix there's no harm done). Both in the same package.
>
> Coming to the include files. According to the ncurses README:
>
> If you configure using the --enable-widec option, a "w" is appended to
> the library names (e.g., libncursesw.a), and the resulting libraries
> support wide-characters, e.g., via a UTF-8 locale.  The _corresponding
> header files are compatible with the non-wide-character configuration_;
> wide-character features are provided by ifdef's in the header files.
>
> I don't exactly know how to read the header bit WRT packages building
> against these headers. Can non-wide and wide applications both use the
> same headers and ./configure sets #defines in case wide-support is
> requested by an app (that's how i would read it)?
>
> At least we should have the original include/ncurses directory back in
> the package - presumably filled with the header files of the non-wide
> build (as a safe option). And then in addition have include/ncursesw
> populated with the header files of the wide variant?
>
> Sebastian

I have not figured out exactly how this is happening,
I may be totally off base, but looking in the libraries and the error messages
from the import I can't see any other way these errors should/could pop up.

I just updated my sparc sandbox and will do some more intensive testing
to figure it out.

- --

Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist