[csw-maintainers] cswclassutils install failed

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Apr 6 22:28:17 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:17:45PM +0200, rupert THURNER wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 16:43, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM, rupert THURNER <rupert at opencsw.org> wrote:
> >> what would happen if one lives without classutils?
> >
> > Disregarding that you have to force past the dependency requirement it
> > would be the equivalent of not running pre/post scripts. The packages
> > that depend on cswclassutils use it for some combo of e.g. init/SMF
> > support and handling of configuration files, see
> > http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils-package for all features.
> >
> > What's the problem to install it in the global zone? Even if you don't
> > have root access to it yourself you should be able to make a request
> > for a package install, right? What would you do with a sparse zone if
> > you needed a SUNW package that installed in /usr?
>
> we would need to make a request. as we have 1000 machines, and only a
> few of them run opencsw it would be denied.
>
> i am wondering how it was done in the past? because we never had write
> access and it always seemed to work. also the install description only
> states /opt/csw as mount point.

"in the past", we didnt use the class script as much.

I would suggest that you make the request. you dont lose much by making the
request, no?

Afer that, as Peter B. said, you would have to run whatever is needful, by
hand.

Which is one reason I have been pushing to have the things called by the
class scripts, in /opt/csw rather than /etc.
This allows for tools to be written to do what is neccessary.

You are basically in the same circumstances as kind of a
 "NFS-shared /opt/csw" model. Perhaps this might motivate you to help
write some of those tools? :-)
The good news is, you would only have to do it once for each cswclassutils
script that we have.