[csw-maintainers] cswclassutils install failed

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Apr 6 23:05:26 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:50:31PM +0200, rupert THURNER wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 22:39, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:17 PM, rupert THURNER <rupert at opencsw.org> wrote:
> >> we would need to make a request. as we have 1000 machines, and only a
> >> few of them run opencsw it would be denied.
> >
> > Why would it be denied? It's not like it would hurt the machines not
> > using CSW, it's something like a 20 KB package containing 10 files
> > which has to be specifically called to do anything.
> >

> because all machines look the same on the base layer. and upgrading
> all machines is a major thing. and waiting for the next operating
> system release as well (because it takes so much time).
>
> it was already difficult to get the /opt/csw mountpoint.
>
> but i'll try :)

If it's a "these things change only once a year, if you're LUCKY" thing...
then it would almost be worse to be stuck with an older version of the
thing.
your requested change should be more along the lines of "please install a
symlink to point to /etc/csw/[somehackplace]" so that you can deploy
updates to the class utils in a timely fashion.

But i think you'll probably be best off trying my "treat as read-only
/opt/csw nfs share" approach.