[csw-maintainers] For the gnome team

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Fri Apr 10 02:34:10 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 10:46:58PM +0200, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> BTW: To get GNOME running it would be nice if we had someone who
>> coordinates what
>> packages need to be built most urgent. Volunteers?
>
> Pffft... we dont need a "coordinator". we need someone to
> BUILD AND TEST packages :-)

I think think there is a need for some coordination too.
There is a lot of dependencies for the gnome packages and in order to get
them in sync with upstream there has to be some kind of synchronized work.

> Any volunteers for that?
>
> [Note: Please volunteer by stating,
>   "I'm going to have package X dropped in newpkgs by tomorrow", not
> "well, yes I'd like to volunteer and I'll make a whole lot of
>      packages ... when i have more time...."  ]

Well, as I stated in private mails to Phil, I use very few CSW packages
other than those either already properly maintained (i.e fairly current with
upstream and with active maintainer), or those I've become maintainer for (I
don't even use all of those).

I don't even run X as a desktop (Windows on desktop, Linux and Solaris on
servers) so I can't even test the packages.
But I'm willing to help pushing existing packages into gar to the point a
package is correctly built.

This far, I've been picking random packages that were either listed as
orphaned or with a "retired" maintainer.
Right now I'm focusing on packages with many bugs reported (netsnmp have
been my main focus for instance, now I'm looking at the bacula and
postgresql packages)