[csw-maintainers] For the gnome team

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Apr 10 03:02:30 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:34:10AM +0200, Roger Håkansson wrote:
> I think think there is a need for some coordination too.
> There is a lot of dependencies for the gnome packages and in order to get
> them in sync with upstream there has to be some kind of synchronized
> work.

To have a need for synchronization, you first need "multiple threads".
A single threaded operation, never needs "synchronization".
(nor does 'zero threads' :-)

Do we have two or more people currently working on compiling GNOME
packages?
please speak up, because I'm not aware of many people currently working in
parallel on this that need synchronization.

Right now, we just have occasional, sporadic updates of low level GNOME
packages, like glib.
Which is GREAT! But... we have no one i know of, who is committing to build
the whole chain.
Or even a specific large PIECE of the chain.
We're just picking one one or two packages here and there.

This effort can be self-organizing; the main "difficult" step, is people
who are going to do the work.
When someone decides to do the work, then just announce, "I'm building
these packages now".
There; problem of "synchronization" solved.

But what the heck, lets make it easier to remember who said they're doing
what.

http://wiki.opencsw.org/gnome
now exists, so that people planning to work on multiple GNOME packages, can
let others know which ones are being worked on already.

The gnome effort consists of basically two types of components:

1. core libs (10 to 20?)

2. a plethora of "auxiliary stuff".

For anyone who needs/wants to work on gnome, the work flow is relatively
straightforward.

1. Pick a gnome lib or two that you wish to work on, that is out of date
 (dont know what to pick? take a look through
       http://wiki.opencsw.org/maintainers/kenmays
   for packages with "lib" in the name, for ideas)t

2. Take a look at its dependancies, and make sure they are up to date.
   If not, then work on its dependancies.
   Otherwise, just update the lib that you chose.

 If desired, return to step 1, and pick another package.