[csw-maintainers] OpenCSW & JDK redistribution

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 16 22:57:42 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 16.04.2009 um 22:52 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:35:42PM +0200, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> after lots of talks to people from Sun about JDK/JRE
>> redistribution here is a status where we are now:

> Did you make it clear that we really dont care about having the
> source code
> for the jdk itself; we just want to redistribute it, with full
> attributions
> left to Sun?

Yes, I made that clear. I talked for an hour to Dalibor about this.
There are lots of licenses tailored for different usecases, for
OEM-bundling with software like Veritas does it, for distributions
like SchilliX, but nothing for package archives. This mixup of
licenses is going to be ended with OpenJDK. I guess I am at an
end here, if you have contacts deeper inside Sun to make a
special license for our usecase please do so.

> I'd rather we redistribute have "FullJDK" than "OpenJDK", if you
> know what
> I mean ;-)

I know what you mean. That's why I already made these beautiful
GAR descriptions for the production JDK/JRE in testing :-(