[csw-maintainers] packages names normalization (long)

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 29 18:17:43 CEST 2009

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

Thank you Dago for your quick and appropriate answer.

>> Giving a full example is probably a good way to enhance the
>> documentation of this standard. Consequently, here is the splitting of
>> the autogen project:
>
> Bad example IMHO, as the sole purpose of autogen is to aid
> in software development and needed for compilation. No user
> will use it.

I know that it's an artificial, viz. inappropriate, example. However, I
choose it because I had a lengthy discussion with Phil about the need to
split it (I wanted to deliver it as an unique package, he had the
opinion that I should split)

>> CSWautogen      autogen
>> CSWautogenrt    autogen_rt
>> CSWautogendevel autogen_devel
>> CSWautogendoc   autogen_doc
>>
>> and their respective content is (I omitted the /opt/csw prefix):
>>
>> autogen:
>>
>> 	bin/autogen
>> 	bin/autoopts-config
>
> By default bin/*-config is put in _devel in GAR.

Right.

>> 	share/man/man1/autoopts-config.1
>
> Same is for the manpage.

Agreed.

>> autogen_rt:
>>
>> 	lib/libguileopts.so.0.0.1
>> 	lib/libopts.so.25.7.0
>>
>> 	share/doc/autogen/AUTHORS
>> 	share/doc/autogen/COPYING
>> 	share/doc/autogen/ChangeLog
>> 	share/doc/autogen/INSTALL
>> 	share/doc/autogen/NEWS
>> 	share/doc/autogen/README
>> 	share/doc/autogen/THANKS
>> 	share/doc/autogen/TODO
>
> Docs usually go into the base package if there is no _doc.

I put this quasi-standard documentation files in the run-time package
because it's installed always and is of interest for everybody (a
little bit like Debian does).

>> autogen_doc:
>>
>> 	share/doc/autogen/autogen.dvi
>> 	share/doc/autogen/autogen.pdf
>> 	share/doc/autogen/autogen.ps
>> 	share/info/autogen.info
>> 	share/info/autogen.info-1
>> 	share/info/autogen.info-2
>
> texinfo pages are put in the main-package as they can be
> thought of another form of manpages.

I'm not sure about this. If I look other packaging sources, again Debian
comes up as an interesting example, the info files are in a separate,
documentation package. It can be argued both ways...

> Additionally, there should be license files
>   /opt/csw/share/doc/autogen/license
>   /opt/csw/share/doc/autogen_rt/license
>   /opt/csw/share/doc/autogen_devel/license
>   /opt/csw/share/doc/autogen_doc/license
> with the contents of share/doc/autogen/COPYING

Right. And they are but not cited in my example.

--
Peter