[csw-maintainers] Buildbot

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 3 18:17:03 CEST 2009

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Am 31.07.2009 um 16:14 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
>> Yes: I prefer to use my own "sausage factory". Known complexity versus
>> unknown complexity. Besides, my "volunteer-ship" on this project
>> predating gar's usage gives me the choice to use the system that I
>> prefer.
>>
>> When the politics of the foundation change and the usage of gar is
>> mandatory I reserve my decision.
>
> The problem is two-fold:
>
> - If for whatever reason I stop working for the company I do now the
> build
>   machine may be shutdown. I neither plan nor expect this, but it may
> happen.
>   But then the homedirectories would be gone.
> - If a maintainer leaves the build recipes may or may not be in his
> homedirectory.
>   If they are not it is hard to continue to provide support for the
> packages.

I half jokingly propose that we do a regular backup in a "cloud".

> For these two reasons it would be very nice if the maintainers with
> custom
> build environments could check in their build recipes to SourceForge,
> in whatever form. The important thing here is not automatization, but
> well-known backup. If we can include alien build-scripts in the GAR tree
> with automatization: all the better. This applies to

Maybe I didn't succeed to make me understood: I do not wish automatising
to happen for my packages. As for providing the stuff which serves me to
package it's on my to do list since an eternity; it's quite easy to do
as the work is under source control --- sorry I don't use SCCS... ---
unfortunately my ISP doesn't provide a SCM access to the system running
my web site. When I'll have the time and the money --- viz. energy ---
I'll do the necessary actions; until then you can snapshot my home
directory.
--
Peter