[csw-maintainers] Buildbot

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 5 10:25:55 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Peter FELECAN<pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> "Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

>>> Are you sure for the figures above?
>>
>> Do you want to argue about the figures? :-)
>>
>> I counted the packages I knew about: the number of subdirectories in
>> mgar/pkg, plus mgar/pkg/cpan, plus number of packages listed on your
>> maitainer page. Feel free to offer better figures! :-)
>
> Of course I'm arguing about the figures: as Dag said there are at least
> 3 maintainers not using gar --- IMHO there are more than that.
>
> The total number of packages in the unstable i386 5.8 catalog is 2052.
>
> The number of the presumed 3 non gar maintainers packages is 331.
>
> This doesn't match your numbers but I invite you to argue on the
> contrary.
>
> Anyhow, the proportion is roughly 1 in 7, 16% of the packages are not
> gar built.

looks like your numbers are better than mine. Good! :-)

To complicate the issues even further, I've recently found this page:
http://www.opencsw.org/package-gar-status.html - According to the
presented list, 843 out of 2061 packages are in GAR. That would make
about 41% of all the packages. (BTW, how is this list generated? I
guess there's a script somewhere...)

Going back to the topic of buildbot, I think there's consensus that we
can and should have a common interface to package builds. I've updated
the draft document at http://wiki.opencsw.org/buildbot to reflect
that.

I have a question about the buildfarm setup. If we could (which we
probably don't and won't, but anyway...) get more hardware to set up
another buildfarm, how such buildfarm should be laid out? How many
physical machines are necessary? (I'm guessing, at least one sparc and
at last one x86.) What should be the specifications of the machines?
(proc/ram/disk) How should the filesystem be laid out? Do we have such
documentation, and if not, can a person with that knowledge do a brain
dump?