[csw-maintainers] Proposed changes to the packages database

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 19 11:51:38 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm working on some web code with relation to the packages database.
I'd like to ask for few minor changes to the database schema. It boils
down to creating an autoincremented primary key to tables in which
rows are identified by a tuple of two columns. The reason for a change
is that the framework I'm using doesn't support composite primary
keys.

The changes (including comments and rollback code) are here:

http://opencsw.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opencsw/opencsw_web/utils/adapt-dependlibs.sql?view=markup
http://opencsw.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opencsw/opencsw_web/utils/adapt-depends.sql?view=markup
http://opencsw.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opencsw/opencsw_web/utils/adapt-pathnames.sql?view=markup

The change should be transparent to other applications. The only
potential problem I can think of is if existing applications use
queries like SELECT * FROM depends; and then expect certain number of
columns. The 'id' column is added at the end of the table, so if an
existing application uses SELECT * and then refers to row[n], there
should be no problem.

Is it okay to apply those changes to the packages database?