[csw-maintainers] Proposed changes to the packages database

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Aug 19 21:00:59 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <
maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on some web code with relation to the packages database.
> I'd like to ask for few minor changes to the database schema. It boils
> down to creating an autoincremented primary key to tables in which
> rows are identified by a tuple of two columns. The reason for a change
> is that the framework I'm using doesn't support composite primary
> keys.
> Is it okay to apply those changes to the packages database?

If you want a unique primary key, you should be using the mantis project id
number, which exists already.
the internal "package database" is sort of a convenience thing. canonical
ownership is what mantis says.

Sounds like you and I should have a more in-depth technical discussion.
Please tell me more about what you are trying to do.

I'm also wondering what kind of "framework" you are using,that somehow
limits you about choice of keys.