[csw-maintainers] GAR RFE: Variable(s) to tag files for classes instead of PROTOTYPE_FILTER

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 24 00:57:56 CEST 2009

Hi Ben,

Ben Walton wrote on 21.07.2009 02:30:
> Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Sun Jul 12 09:23:02 -0400 2009:
> Hi Sebastian and Dago,
>
> I put together a small patch (attached) for GAR to twiddle the
> required bits for use of cswpycompile in an automatic fashion.  I
> didn't make it happen implicitly, as after thinking more about the
> changes I'll make to support automatic elisp handling, I didn't think
> implicit was the right way to go here.
>
> The patch will take any value of CSWPYCOMPILE to mean that
> cswpycompile is added to SPKG_CLASSES, .pyc and .pyo files are
> filtered from the merge by default, .py files are set to cswpycompile
> in the prototype and CSWcswclassutils is added as a dependency.

this had been sleeping for a while. After talking to Dago, I have
branched gar/v2 for testing purposes [1] and made two changes.

1) Adjusted gar.pkg.mk to include a PYCOMPILE variable similar to the
other cswclassutils GAR variables. Simple so far and close to what you did.

2) Regarding the implicit activation of such a feature, I thought it
might be convenient to use a GAR category.mk file for it. This
category.mk activates python specific build/install targets, adds a
dependency to CSWpython and sets a couple of variables, amongst others
PYCOMPILE and _MERGE_EXCLUDE_CATEGORY to handle the .pyc/.pyo files.

This way, a maintainer who wants to package a python module, just sets
CATEGORIES = python and has sane defaults, including activation of the
cswpycompile feature. Furthermore the python maintainer can take care of
this category.mk file to have it reflect best practices and CSW defaults
for packaging python modules.

There is a sample build description for ZSI [2] based on these changes.
Diff of the changes to GAR is attached to this mail. What do you think
(keeping in mind that the specific functionality of i.cswpycompile
itself is another sub-topic)? Dago?

Sebastian

[1] https://gar.svn.sf.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/gar/v2-skayser/
[2] https://gar.svn.sf.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/ZSI/trunk/Makefile