[csw-maintainers] GAR RFE: Variable(s) to tag files for classes instead of PROTOTYPE_FILTER

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Fri Aug 28 22:30:43 CEST 2009

Ben Walton wrote on 24.08.2009 01:44:
> Excerpts from Sebastian Kayser's message of Sun Aug 23 18:57:56 -0400 2009:
>
>> This way, a maintainer who wants to package a python module, just sets
>> CATEGORIES = python and has sane defaults, including activation of the
>> cswpycompile feature. Furthermore the python maintainer can take care of
>> this category.mk file to have it reflect best practices and CSW defaults
>> for packaging python modules.
>>
>> There is a sample build description for ZSI [2] based on these changes.
>> Diff of the changes to GAR is attached to this mail. What do you think
>> (keeping in mind that the specific functionality of i.cswpycompile
>> itself is another sub-topic)? Dago?
>
> It looks like a reasonable approach to me.  The only thing I'd point
> out is that in a mixed package (a library that provided python
> bindings), it _may_ not be appropriate to set category to python...?
> It's like a perfect fit for 95% of the cases though.
>
> I'm glad you tackled this!  I hadn't had a chance to get back to it
> yet.

Thanks for the feedback, regarding your concern I made an adjustment. I
moved the .pyc,.pyo exclusion logic to gar.mk and it is triggered when
PYCOMPILE is set.

So now you can just set PYCOMPILE for any non-python category builds and
still have all the cswpycompile logic (including .pyc,.pyo exclusion
during the merge phase).

Full diff for my branch:

  http://dpaste.com/86757/

Dago, any comments/wishes or can i just merge this to v2?

Sebastian