[csw-maintainers] Google webmaster tools

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Aug 30 09:56:46 CEST 2009

During the OpenCSW Summer Camp, I spoke with Ihsan about using Google
webmaster tools to take a peek how Googlebot sees www.opencsw.org
website. To use the webmaster tools basically means getting access to
the information already contained within Google. To get access to it,
one needs to verify the site, in other words, prove that they own it.
It's done by either putting a meta tag into the HTML code, or by
placing a file with a special name on the webserver.

After verifying the website, we'll get access to:
- top search queries
- a list of links to the website
- crawl errors (e.g. 404s or timeouts)
- sitemap.xml submissions
- HTML analysis (meta tags usage, duplicate title tags)
- internal link analysis

In our case the meta tag would be:

Ihsan, can you please add this meta tag to the website code, so that
it appears under www.opencsw.org?