[csw-maintainers] Migrating config files from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw during package update

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Aug 31 17:55:40 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM, rupert THURNER<rupert at opencsw.org> wrote:

> our configuration has one writable directory, /opt/csw, and we
> appreciated a lot the isolated nature. putting the files in etc will
> render opencsw unusable for us.

yikes.
Trouble is, this goes directly against official, external (SUN, and
SVR4 documented) standards.

At least you acknowlege that, even for you, config files "locally" may
have some advantage in some cases though :)

>so, the principal issue i can see  is: how would we be able to
>configure if /etc  or /opt/csw/etc is used ?

Please note: it is specifically /etc/opt/csw, not just "/etc".

So, one work around you could do, in those places where you choose to
go against standards, would be to make /etc/opt/csw be a loopback
mount for /opt/csw/etc.

(to be specific in direction:
  mount -F lofs /opt/csw/etc  /etc/opt/csw  )

other, more package-individual ways, would be to make the symlinks
/etc/opt/csw/foo.conf -> /opt/csw/etc/foo.conf, as Dago suggested.