[csw-maintainers] (now about sudo)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Dec 4 20:51:52 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Whatever solution we find for sudo, it should be applied for tcpwrappers
> too.

I disagree.
tcpwrappers is a GLOBALLY SHARED LIBRARY, that has MULTIPLE packages
dependant on it.
that forces us to provide a single shared lib, and hence its current
installtime behaviour.

whereas sudo, is just an executable, that has nothing dependant on it.
That means that it is perfectly allowable to have BOTH executables present.

> There's no
>gain in installing both, as sudo_ldap pulls ldap packages, so all the
>benefit of CSWsudo (without the dependency) is lost.

I would have to disagree here. on multiple levels.
But I'll just state the simplest useful reason to allow both:

picture an environment where ldap is USUALLY used.  in this case,
sudo_ldap would be routinely used.

however, one day, "something bad happens", where both root login, and
ldap information, is messed up.  It then becomes very very useful, to
have sudo.minimal installed and ready to use, as a fallback cleanup
tool.