[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 10 14:27:03 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Gary Law <glaw at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> HI

>>> For the record:
>>>
>>> http://www.opencsw.org/bugtrack/view.php?id=3760
>>
>> OK, I don't think we should be using classutils then. It violates
>> policy. The 'workaround' is clunky for some, and impossible if you
>> don't have root on the global zone.
>
> It's only impossible if you don't have root on the global zone and you
> inherit /usr from it.  I would say that if you intent to install
> packages to a Solaris system, it should be either a global zone or a
> full root zone.  Can you ask for conversion of your zone to full root?

Not in reply to Maciej but more in general:

I have never understood this "I don't have root in the global
zone"-issue. If you're only root in the sparse zone, why don't you
just ask the global root to install cswclassutils? It's not like
asking them to pollute the global zone with an Oracle installation,
it's just a few shell scripts.

In what situation could this not get done? I doubt much can be done at
all at a company that can't provide that minor service.

Sorry for not being more understanding but if we're dropping support
for an excellent feature I'm not going to work at replacing it.

--
/peter