[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Dec 10 18:25:33 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On 10/12/09, 11:52:40, Gary Law <glaw at opencsw.org> wrote regarding Re:
>
>> OK, I don't think we should be using classutils then. It violates
>> policy. [of writing to /usr]
>> The 'workaround' is clunky for some, and impossible if you
>> don't have root on the global zone.
>
> I support Gary.  I understand that classutils is clever and works
> well in some situations but it's not a complete solution and therefor
> we should look for something else.

wow. I'm surprised you have that view, James.

is this something you actually run into anywhere, or is this a purely
abstract, "purity" level objection?

For myself, I'm not "happy" with it. but unfortunately, it's the only
way sun allows class actions to work.
I am very behind class actions, because it is the cleanest way to
migrate to IPS [whatever-the-hell-they-are-called], 4 years down the
road.
The other reason is because it is the only way to avoid prompting the
user for trivial pre-approved stuff, while at the same time still
allowing the user control for prompting about SERIOUS stuff.

In other words:
  Prompt user for known, understood behaviour for copying conf scripts? no.

 Prompt user for running a completely new, one-shot complicated
postinstall  script?
   YES, if they care about checking out those things.

This is important, in my opinion.

There is *NO* other solution that allows for this, while still using
straight SVR4 pkgadd. You MUST use class action scripts, and they MUST
go in /usr.
Everything else will be forced to use postinstall script, which will
have the prompting problem.