[csw-maintainers] Replacing existing Solaris functionality by OpenCSW packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Dec 10 18:25:56 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> One package can't remove another package upon installation, can it?

not in pre or postinstall, far as I know, due to pkg database locking issues?
not DIRECTLY anyways...

there are sneaky workarounds I think.
but meanwhile..

> Anyway, about handling the "install all CSW" scenario, isn't it better
> to just skip the packages which conflict with already installed ones?

And how are you going to define "conflict"?
and how are you going to deal with the fact that for our NORMAL
operations, standard operation is the exact opposite:
REMOVE packages for which newer ones (of ours) conflict.

it just doesnt work well.
I made a suggestion, which satisfies both "how do we deal with it",
and "how do we not mess up existing expected behaviour of our
packages".
Perhaps you'd like to review the archives and reconsider it.
(I dont remember exactly what it was right now, but I do know it
fulfilled the above two criteria)