[csw-maintainers] Font packages

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 15 11:28:05 CET 2009

On 14/12/09, 16:21:27, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] Font packages:

> I thougth we already had an X11 fonts dir. but it would seem we do not.

> Soooo... yeah, we should have an official CSW fonts dir for X.

> Presumably /opt/csw/X11/fonts ?

We had decided on:
/opt/csw/share/fonts/${FORMAT}/

> But then for fonts that are not strictly X only, we have the question
> of ..."well, what about non-X things, that still want access to true
> type fonts?"

Correct, fonts are used by X, they are not X.

> We have more than one package that provides some hooks for truetype
> fonts.

> tetex, for one.

> openoffice, for another.

There's no Bitstream Vera in OOo at the moment.  There are many fonts
available (free for download) but Solaris comes with more and better
fonts as standard than competitive systems so to me CSW fonts aren't
important.  I don't need the Liberation Fonts because I don't need
liberating, neither do I need yet another clone of Helvetica or Times
Roman.

Ideally fonts should be in a common /opt/csw/share/fonts/ directory
and the default font paths set in the apps.  The problem is programs
that index the installed fonts so adding fonts to the directory needs
a way of notifying the apps, eg, Gostscript's Fontmap.GS.

James.