[csw-maintainers] no one else who matters? (was CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Dec 16 20:20:04 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Gary Law <glaw at opencsw.org> wrote:
> In this particular case, of course, this is a real problem. I've got
> to go to my provider of zones and say ' install this package ' and
> hope none of their other customers ever want to use Blastwave.

oh, a small point on zone compatibility, btw:
sparse zones usually share /usr from the global zone. However, no-one
says they HAVE to.
They can actually share /usr from somewhere else(whether that be a
non-global zone, or somewhere else entirely)
Similar for /opt, and  /opt/csw, if you want those shared rather than
zone-local.

Additionally.. just because /usr is read-only, doesnt mean that you
cannot modify it for a zone, funnily enough :-}

If for some reason, you really REALLY want multiple zones on a single
box, all with single shared /usr from global zone.. but you wish some
zones to use blastwave, and others to use opencsw.. and thus you maybe
have a conflict in /usr/sadm/install/scripts...

You can have an overlay mount for /usr/sadm/install/scripts.

Its not quite as pretty or simple, as just having "everything use
opencsw". But it is as least, not an insurmountable problem.