[csw-maintainers] Alternatives

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Dec 21 23:05:28 CET 2009

>Or would you also argument to have
> a "ll" (or "cswll") binary

that is not at all a comperable argument.
ls -l. is already short
2chars vs 4

Additionally, noone has yet addressed my concern about it being fully
in the "dpkg" namespace.

can we get a second party who is competant in perl, give the proposed
code an audit please?

(and I also think the name sucks. "update-alternatives"?
 it's very name describes it as an adjunct utility to a separate core software.
that is to say, it is an add-on utility to tweak something already set
by "the dpkg alternatives system".
ie: it's for "updating" only

oh hey I've found a command reference in REDHAT.  interestingly, they
have a manpage that I guess is an alias for "update-alternatives". but
the true command is called "alternatives".

now that seems more appropriate to me. how about that? (the name, AND
possibly the choice of software?)