[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 23 10:28:39 CET 2009

On 22/12/09, 18:10:13, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] CSWcswclassutils: it wants to write in /usr:

> > They might but needn't and maybe shouldn't.  My exim works with
> > /usr/sendmail in place although it needs manual "svcadm disable
> > sendmail" to get access to port 25.

> That's all well and good until something wants to inject mail via
> /usr/lib/sendmail.  At that point, it's fairly important to have
> /usr/lib/sendmail be the CSW file and not the SUNW one.  Replacing
> mailq and aliases is also useful (creature comfort-wise) but not
> essential.  I'd actually consider CSWexim broken if it didn't at least
> offer to make the switch.

I'd consider anything that directly used /usr/lib/sendmail to be
broken and I realise that includes system functions like cron output.

However, it does work, this gets to my normal IMAP account on another
zone/machine with exim but using sendmail as the first local hop:

$ echo "hello me" | mailx -s "test" $USER

It's not important to me because sendmail does work.  The reason I
use exim is because I want to do more than just deliver locally
generated mail and exim is easier to configure and do the advanced
things like use SQL for routing variables.

It would be best if mailx etc. were more aware, eg, the system looked
for "mailhost" in the hosts list and used SMTP (analogous to loghost
and syslog).

James.