[csw-maintainers] New in testing: parallel gzip 'pigz' (pronounced pig-zee)

Trygve Laugstøl trygvis at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 31 13:11:33 CET 2009

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> Am 27.12.2009 um 02:00 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>
>> wrote:
>>> (...)
>>> I guess I'll switch package compression in GAR to pigz after
>>> release.
>>
>> What's the status of pigz usage/deployment? Some packages I work with,
>> take quite a long time to gzip.
>
> It works fine. The place to patch would be bin/mkpackage. I guess it would
> be best to add usepigz as extra option, but I haven't gotten around to
> do so.
> Would you mind patching it in?

I may have asked this before, but is there really a need for compressing
the packages before they're sent to testing/?

I don't know how you guys work, but I always end up with a long command
ala this when I'm developing packages:

gunzip -f ~/opencsw/pkgs/CSWfoo-1.2.3*.tar.gz && pkgadd -d ~/opencsw/..

So the first think I'm doing after creating the package is to uncompress
it, just so that I can install it. How about getting "make package"
create the uncompressed package and "make package.gz" create the
compressed one?

--
Trygve