[csw-maintainers] New in testing: parallel gzip 'pigz' (pronounced pig-zee)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 31 14:45:57 CET 2009

Excerpts from Trygve Laugstøl's message of Thu Dec 31 07:11:33 -0500 2009:

> I don't know how you guys work, but I always end up with a long command
> ala this when I'm developing packages:
>
> gunzip -f ~/opencsw/pkgs/CSWfoo-1.2.3*.tar.gz && pkgadd -d
> ~/opencsw/..

I do this, but typically only after a:

scp login.bo:staging/CSWfoo-1.2.3*.tar.gz .

I don't usually build locally at all since I don't have any sol8 dev
boxes and I prefer to do all of my building there first to shake out
bugs that might not be found in 10.

For some packages, not being zipped would be fine.  For others, this
would add to my transfer time significantly.

I think I'd still upvote the change though, as overall, it makes more
sense.  Compress for release.

It would have a side benefit of making checkpkg faster since it
wouldn't need to unzip each package being inspected either.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.